With the holiday season just around the corner, everyone has started to think about what they can gift their near-and-dear ones for Christmas. Different people have different woodworking project ideas for Christmas gifts. Some are considering gifting expensive phones, bags, watches, and the like to their family and friends for Christmas. Then, there is another segment of people who believe in gifting a prized personal belonging to show how much they care about the person receiving the gift.
However, our article concerns the category of people who love the idea of handcrafted Christmas gifts and want to make Christmas a special event for others and themselves. Such folks create gifts from their own hands rather than picking up an item from a gift shop shelf. This is because they strongly believe that DIY Christmas gifts hold more sentimental value than gifts picked up from the store.
Items made via woodworking projects are considered among the best DIY gift ideas by such folks. If you fall into this category of people or are inspired by their idea of meaningful Christmas gifts, then check out these.
Easy DIY Christmas Woodworking Ideas and Try Them at Home :-
1. Tapered Salt-and-Pepper Shakers
Salt-and-pepper shakers are used in every household; therefore, gifting tapered ones that you’ve made from your own hands can never be a bad thing. Following are the items you will need for this DIY Christmas woodworking project:
- 32″ x 40″ architectural butter board
- Table saw
- Miter saw
- Random orbital sander
- Tapering jig
Once you have gathered the above-mentioned items, you can start building the tapered salt-and-pepper shakers. Following are the instructions for completing this woodworking project:
- Start by cutting the parts.
- Cut two parts for the front/back of shakers in dimensions of ½” T ×1-3/4” W×6” L.
- Cut two parts for the sides in dimensions of ½” T ×3/4” W×6” L.
- Cut two parts for the top/bottom in dimensions of ¼” T×1-3/4” W×1-3/4” L.
- Cut one part for base centering block in dimensions of ½” T× 3/4” W×3/4” W.
- Assemble the body pieces using glue.
- Trim an end square and cut the other at 15 degrees.
- Place the base-centering block into the body.
- Assemble the base using some glue.
- Press the pieces together using a pencil. Insert the pencil through the shaker’s body and press the pieces together by using the eraser. Hold for a few minutes to allow the glue to settle in.
- Drill the holes and attach the top.
- Draw the tapers.
- Cut the tapers.
- Install the magnetic catch mechanism.
- Add finishing touches to the shaker.
2. DIY Photo Stocking Hangers
One of the most popular woodworking Christmas gift ideas is DIY photo stocking hangers project for Christmas. This DIY Christmas gift will add a vintage feel to any room it’s kept in.
All you’ll need for this DIY woodworking project are a few stocking hangers and one big board. All this will cost you no more than a few dollars. Once you have these items in place, you can create the DIY photo stocking hangers by following the instructions below:
- Buy one 8” 2×6
- For each stock hanger, cut a 4-inch and 6-inch piece from the 2×6 board
- Use the 4-inch piece as the stocking’s base and 6-inch piece as the top
- Using a Kreg jig, drill two 1 1/2-inch pocket holes in each 6-inch piece
- Using Kreg pocket hole screws, attach the top to the base
- Using a foam brush, wipe on the piece, and apply a coat of wood stain. Allow it to dry
- Distress the wood all over using a Ryobi Corner Cat Sander once it is dry
- Hang the stocking using oil rubbed bronze hooks
- Hot glue metal clips to each stock hanger’s top center
- Attach the pictures
3. DIY Birch Vase
Another great idea for a Christmas gift is a DIY vase made from birch wood. Not only is this DIY Christmas gift easy to make, but it also allows you to experiment with different Christmas woodworking patterns. The reason why a DIY birch vase is a great gift for Christmas is that it adds a natural element to the indoors. Those who will receive your handmade wooden vase will surely appreciate your efforts as well as the craft that went into its making.
The items that you will need for this DIY woodworking project include a log, some sandpaper, a saw, and a tri-fruit drill bit. Following are the instructions for building the DIY Birch Vase:
- Using a saw, cut down a piece of the log/branch to the desired height
- Drill a wide hole to a preferred depth using the drill bit
- To give the top a beautiful and smooth finish, sand it
4. Turned Wood Lidded Box
This is one of the best DIY Christmas gifts to give to close relations like your parents or your spouse. Small yet elegant, the turned wood lidded box can be built without much expense. The only items that you will need for completing this DIY woodworking project are a four-jaw chuck, a 1/4 parting tool, a half-round scraper, a spindle gauge, and a 1/16 parting tool.
Making this Christmas gift is not very time-consuming. You can make a turned wood lidded box within one day. Upon completion, you can gift the fruits of your labor to your parents or partner, and they can use it for keeping candies or other small edibles. Following are the complete instructions for building this DIY Christmas gift:
- Start by preparing the blank
- Using a roughing gouge, change the square block into a round cylinder
- Using ¼” parting tool, cut a tenon on the cylinder’s two ends
- To fit a four-jaw chuck, size the tenons
- After taking out the blank from the lathe, use a four-jaw chuck to replace the drive center. The stock should be mounted in the chuck
- Using a 1/16” parting tool, separate the upper lid from the base
- Turn the inside of the lid using a spindle gouge
- Using a divider, fit the lid to the base
- Using a spindle gouge, shape the whole box
- Using the 1/4” parting tool, fit the base opening by turning on a tenon
- Using a detail gouge, finish the bottom
- The turned wood lidded box is ready
Christmas is not too far away. You can surprise and delight your friends, family, and other loved ones on Christmas day by gifting them items that you’ve handmade, especially for them. To get printable woodworking project plans, visit here!