If you’re aspiring to become a professional woodworker and want to make stunning pieces of furniture, you should get your hands on the best woodworking magazines for woodworkers. Take a walk around a woodcarving event or any craft show, and you’d see so many artistic woodworks that will make you wonder how they ever managed to get such wonderful ideas.
They have years of experience behind them, and most of them have spent a lifetime figuring out the perfect designs and honing their craft. So, how can you develop your woodworking skill or talent? You’ll need to find the most popular woodworking magazines around and go through the literature to unearth a goldmine of tips and tricks that will help you master the art of woodcarving.
We’ve done the hard part for you by highlighting 5 of the best woodworking magazines and have reviewed them, to help you find the best one. Here they are:
1. Popular Woodworking Magazine – Kindle Edition
Our list is headed by the Popular Woodworking Magazine, which provides you with an extensive range of great tips and information regarding everything woodworking. You can download the kindle edition on your smartphone or iPad and find a plethora of information about woodworking.
The plus is that it is extremely affordable and offers you with fundamental and comprehensive knowledge about wood craftsmanship. The magazine focuses on making readers mindful, independent, and competent about their workspace and it is tested for quality by past woodworkers, readers, and that staff drafting the content.
- Highly illustrated
- Most affordable magazine available for download
- Available for easy referencing
- Can be read offline
- Fills gaps in your knowledge database
- Requires some expertise for the information to be read
- Can only be accessed through smartphones and laptops
- Isn’t available for people without internet access
2. Great Book of Woodworking Tips – Over 650 Ingenious Workshop Tips
For those of you, who are looking to sharpen their woodworking skills, this is the magazine to read. It not only teaches you how to draw, rout, saw, glue, clamp, join, and finish woodworks but offers a hands-on and comprehensive approach towards woodworking. This fine woodworking magazine offers you 650 ingenious workshop tips that cover every task you may have, ensuring you won’t need to look anywhere else to hone and improve your woodworking skills.
The magazine is a great Do-It-Yourself reference book and is clearly illustrated with legible prints that are easy to read. The labels, illustrations, and prints are placed appropriately throughout the magazine, and you won’t find it difficult to find the content you’re looking for.
- Hardcover copy that ensures durability
- All content is vouched by professional editors
- Has excellent illustrations and photography
- Costs more than downloaded versions
- Isn’t easily accessible
- Needs maintenance and a great deal of care
3. The Complete Manual of Woodworking – A Detailed Guide to Design
For those of you with professional carpentry skills, you don’t have any room to gamble, as everything must be done perfectly. That can only happen if you have access to a professional woodworking magazine, and that exactly what this fine woodworking magazine offers. This book doesn’t require you to have a special instructor to help you out, and the discussions, illustrations, and choice of words are very straightforward.
Anyone can easily comprehend the information without any confusions and beginners will get greater insight into different aspects of woodworking. It will teach you about choosing different tools with detailed explanations on every woodworking technique and will also teach you how to bind, fasten, and laminate wood. The magazine is heavily illustrated with visual explanations of various procedures, steps, and concepts.
- Doesn’t wear out easily
- Negates the need for other woodworking books
- Covers entire field of carpentry and woodwork
- Great for beginners in the field of carpentry
- Has some obsolete pieces of information
- Only available in the paperback version
- Takes a lot of time to flip through all the pages
4. Woodworker’s Journal – The Print Magazine
If you’re a woodworking professional whose entire life revolves around carpentry, you would want access to a comprehensive book for woodworking and carpentry. Woodworker’s Journal is designed to walk you through different levels of carpentry from beginner to expert. The magazine shares a comprehensive guide of different levels of woodworking, and all the techniques are displayed accurately and in a detailed step-by-step format.
There are also numerous illustrations, photos, and diagrams of different woodworks with the entire magazine divided into departments that are about exclusive topics.
- Doesn’t require additional teaching skills
- Comes with free project suggestions
- Offers great insights and knowledge
- Eliminates all types of confusions
- Is an expensive magazine
- Was revised a long time ago so may not have the latest information
5. Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Print Magazine
If you want to improve your woodworking and woodcarving skills, you should get a magazine that offers you the right guidance. There’s no other magazine better at it than this one, and it even contains various illustrations and how-to tips for greater outcomes. It’s relevant for every skill level and is a handy magazine that is going to be useful for your course.
There are handy tutorials throughout the magazine that are designed to improve your overall expertise and knowledge base substantially. The magazine is also affordable and shares easy tutorials and patterns that will have a considerable effect on your woodworking skills.
- Simple in language and scope
- Contains references to other great sources
- Generated by experienced researchers
- Great for starts and professionals alike
- Offers great knowledge and insight into woodworking
- Is heavy to carry around
- Can’t be referenced because of the print format
So, there you have it. These woodworking magazines that we have reviewed are all relevant and great for helping you learn and improve your woodworking and woodcarving skills. They will help you sharpen your skills and greatly expand your knowledge base about woodworking techniques and tools.
If you’re thinking about taking up carpentry professionally or want to gift one to a friend who is learning about woodworking and carpentry, these five woodworking magazines are the best options in 2020.